Tuesday, December 18, 2012

WEST HOLLYWOOD POLICE BRUTALITY....OR NOT?

 I posted a blog several weeks ago (http://jimmypalmieri.blogspot.com/2012/11/soooo.html), about alleged police brutality in West Hollywood, by our own Sheriffs Dept.  Little did I realize just how many people would be reading it.  Actually I do have an idea how many read my blog, I just never expected the overwhelming reaction to it.  Not only by my regular readers, but also by city officials, managers, and the Sheriffs Dept.  And our Mayor Jeff Prang .  About 6 times in one day.  Now I can't seem to get him to answer an email from me.  That's another blog though.

The blog contained allegations  made by The Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center's Roger Coggan (http://www.lagaycenter.org/site/PageServer?pagename=YC_Management_Biographies#rcoggan) about some horrific brutalities on non white gay men, by certain deputies at the West Hollywood Sheriffs Dept.

You can read about it by clicking the above link.  This piece,  however,  is to address my follow up visit with the boss, the number one, the heart of the West Hollywood Sheriffs Dept. Captain Kelley Fraser.  It took about a week or two to actually meet with her after I blogged, because she was vacationing with her wife in Hawaii.


The Captain came to the last Commission meeting bravely,  and sort of apologetically addressed us, saying  she was actually thankful to  Roger, for pointing out that there was a lapse of communication between he and the Sheriff's Dept.  Some Commissioners strategically thanked her. (I CAN ALWAYS TELL A REHEARSED REMARK).   Ok, blah blah blah......let's get to my meeting with her.

Many times when I meet with people with a title, I feel like they are blowing smoke up my ass, just to make me smile and shut me up.  It never works.  I always do smile, but then do as needed, as I am a community activist above anything else in this world.

I didn't  feel this way with the Captain.  I met with her and Lt. Dave Smith (who I know for many years).  The Captains first words were that she was sorry it took so long for us to actually sit down and have a talk.  About anything.  Not just this topic of abuse.  She explained to me that 8 of the 10 cases that were brought to the table by Roger Coggan,  were independently reviewed,  some by some fancy non partisan board of Demi-Gods, and some by the Ombudsman's office.  (WHO EVER THOUGHT I WOULD ACTUALLY USE THAT WORD?)  The Sheriff's Dept. in Weho was cleared of any wrongdoing and it was formally stated that they acted appropriately.  I believe her.  I get the feeling she is good.  I haven't been fond of the gaggle of Captains dancing through Weho   since Linda Castro, but Fraser may, in many ways, be  what we need here.

Granted she is a lesbian, but that doesn't make her a good Captain.  I believe fondness  and respect for  the community, understanding,  along with knowledge of the law and available services,  are the makings of a good public servant.  I do believe she is trying her best to bring that to her Dept.  She isn't a politician trying to sell us whatever we want to hear.  She isn't providing spin, that so many times just angers people.  She is trying to find,  and searching hard for solutions  to have a community that is safe and not afraid of the Sheriffs Dept.  At least here in Weho.

  I spent 2 hours with her, talking, and I mean talking.  I made my mind up before I got there, that I was going to ask whatever I had in my mind pertaining to these allegations.  She was an open book,  as was Lt. Smith.

Does she run a perfect dept.?  Doubtful.  Is every Deputy there a good guy/gal?  Doubtful.  I do , however feel, that , Fraser will work hard at making sure no shenanigans are going to be played on her watch.  She is pretty sweet, but I don't want to be the biotch on the wrong side of her.  I don't recommend any deputies getting on her bad side either.  'CAUSE THEY JUST MIGHT BE ON THE RECEIVING END OF SOME BRUTALITY!.  Well maybe not. Probably not.   I do think they will cry though. Like little girls.  Little baby girls.

By the way, the Captain wants communication with the community.  She is approachable.  She wants the community to participate in the Community Sheriffs Academy here in Weho.   She is here to serve and she is available.  Try to meet her.  I think you might like her.  I did.

Mr. Coggan, the ball's in your court..........

No comments:

Post a Comment